A ship generally depends on many mechanical systems and components that require routine maintenance to keep running smoothly. Whether it is a small or large machine. Efficient maintenance can help with prolonged life and favourable outcome. It should be mandatory for everyone who maintains ship to keep their equipment up to date for smooth running condition.
Here are some useful tips for tracking the monster that is the ship’s maintenance plan. As we all know that a solid plan for maintenance saves the day, but the whole thing stucks at where to figure out to begin.
Now let’s get started
Any business that depends on ships to make money, you want the machinery to operate efficiently with the least amount of cost. By maintaining plan this can be achieved. In simple words don’t just wing it when it comes to maintenance — it’s worth your time.
Begin by reviewing your company’s procedures and manufacturer’s guidelines for all of your equipment.once you are done with that make sure to have accurate information on the type of equipment you have. It’s must and should.
A Strategic Approach
Always keep this in mind whenever you ‘re ready to go to work on a repair or maintenance job.
- Identify the issue
- Figure out the cause
- Think of a solution and ask a co-worker. It’s a good idea to ask someone who works with the machine daily or may have been around when it broke down.
- Review the solution with your co-worker.
- Gather the needed parts, tools, expertise and go to work on the solution.
- Test the solution and evaluate whether it’s a permanent fix or something that will need to be repaired with a more robust solution once the ship is back at port.
- Make a record of the repair with the date, so you can predict a future breakdown and how it was repaired. The next guy will appreciate this tremendously.
It’s a good thought if you maintain the extensive records of procedures, inspections, solutions and an accurate snapshot of available parts in inventory.
Assemble these pieces for a solid maintenance plan.
- Criteria and frequency of inspections.
- Install and use the right measurement and test equipment. Anything that can be used to predict trouble is worth the effort.
- Make certain your crew knows how to calibrate and use the testing machine.
- Train your crew on all types of testing like vibration, pressure, load, as well as water tightness and more.
Create a plan that works the best for your business and your fleet today.
Each machine on board a ship requires maintenance which has to be carried out at regular intervals of time. Get in touch with us if you are looking for onboard a ship maintenance.